Blood-Brain Barrier Toxicity Assay
OrganoServicesTM are available for multiple assays to allow compound profiling and/or screening in human-relevant, complex 3D tissue models.
The blood-brain barrier (BBB) ensures a homeostatic environment for the central nervous system (CNS) and is essential for healthy brain functioning. When developing new therapeutic treatments and assessing drug toxicity, it is crucial to understand BBB function by studying its absorption, transport, and permeability. To study BBB barrier integrity in a high-throughput manner, we developed a robust human brain microvascular endothelial cells HBMEC BBB model in the OrganoPlate® combined with a validated barrier integrity assay and usage of the OrganoTEER®, which rapidly measures the transepithelial electrical resistance (TEER) of 64 endothelial cultures at once.
Blood-Brain Barrier Toxicity Assay OrganoService offers:
- Screening of your compounds in a validated, physiologically relevant BBB model
- Screening of up to 13 compounds in one concentration per OrganoPlate
- 4 technical replicates and 3 control samples
- Raw and normalized TEER values in a clear data report
- Extend the compound screen with more plates, in case a larger screen is desired
An example of an application that can be performed using this OrganoServiceTM is to evaluate concentration-dependent disruption of blood-brain barrier integrity following compound exposure.