Blood-Brain Barrier Small Molecule Transport Assay
OrganoServicesTM are available for multiple assays to allow compound profiling and/or screening in human-relevant, complex 3D tissue models.
The blood-brain barrier (BBB) ensures a homeostatic environment for the central nervous system (CNS) and is essential for healthy brain functioning. A major challenge in treating CNS disorders is developing drugs that can pass through the BBB as many small-molecule pharmaceuticals are restricted from entering the brain in sufficient quantities to elicit a response. To study small molecule transport and penetration kinetics across the BBB in a high-throughput manner across the BBB , we developed a robust human brain microvascular endothelial cells (HBMEC) BBB model in the OrganoPlate® , combined with a validated small molecule transport assay.
The Blood-Brain Barrier Small Molecule Transport Assay OrganoService offers:
- Screening of your compounds in validated, physiologically-relevant BBB model
- Pre-QC and post-QC via barrier integrity measurements
- Screens are run in sets of 6 compounds in one concentration
- 4 technical replicates and 4 cell-free controls per compound
- Digoxin and Propranolol used as control compounds (May be switched with your compounds)
- Basal and apical samples shared
- Extend the compound screen with more plates, in case a larger screen is desired
An example of an application that can be performed using this OrganoServiceTM is to evaluate BBB permeability of potential samll-molecule compounds.